My good friend Morgan Linton has one of the absolute best blogs on the Internet (if not the best one) about domaining. I have been reading Morgan’s blog forever and frequently commentate there. One of my favorite posts he does is his weekend musings (here’s a link to Morgan’s most recent Weekend Musings). Also, my good friend Jason Thompson has an amazing blog about domaining (on a Dot Co domain name) that I read every single day (I can’t get enough of it). Jason also frequently writes about his weekend musings. The week is so hectic that I too like to reflect back on things and think at a higher level during the weekends. Today is my first weekend musings post, inspired by Morgan and Jason, the first of many!
- It’s really hard for me to say “no”. Sometimes I wish I did a better job at this. That said, I’m an ambitious guy and want to do it all. If you’re waiting on my for something, hang tight, I will get through everything. So many amazing things to get through in 2012!
- I Worked This Weekend again! I didn’t work all day Sunday, but worked all day and night Saturday. It honestly felt like all weekend, however, because I slept half the day today recovering from my big day yesterday. I had an important deadline that I just had to hit (others depended on me). It’s the beginning of a new year and I’m trying to start the year aggressively. I don’t plan on doing this every weekend, but the beginning of the year is a good time to invest the extra hours, in my opinion (since you enjoy the benefits of the work all year and beyond).
- I really enjoy working on SEO, as much as paid search. The project I worked on all weekend was actually an on-page SEO one which is quite fun. My advice to those in the PPC career path: Explore related fields such as SEO, display, email, and affiliate marketing. You don’t have to spend a ton of time, but even a small amount cross-channel experience will add greatly to your perspective.
- Posts about commentating get a lot of interest. I decided to write my post about how Blogs With Top Commentators Are Now Rare as a follow-up to my very popular Blog Commentating Strategy. My new post got a lot of comments and interest. This just goes to show that I’m not the only one who’s passionate about commentating.
- I’m starting to see Six Sitelinks show up on my paid search ads, not only for trademark/brand keywords but for generic keywords too. Make sure you have at least six sitelinks deployed in each of your Google AdWords campaigns.
- SMX West San Jose is coming up in late February. If you haven’t registered yet, I highly recommend doing so. Here’s my recap of SMX West 2011. I’m particularly excited about joining my friends at Marin Software for a San Jose Sharks game after the conference.
- Hip hop is the best. I keep discovering great tracks. I’m listening to this Slum Village track right now called “Hold Tight” that features Q-Tip. I really want to see Q-Tip / A Tribe Called Quest in concert one of these days.
Image of TGIF © iStockPhoto – KLH49
Thanks for the kind words Ian – looking forward to following your weekend musings each week!
Jason Thompson says
Ian, you’ve got a killer blog as well! Thanks for the mention! I’ll keep writing as long as you do. 🙂
Patrick Long says
Thanks so much for this post. You’ve shared so much insight and information that is greatly appreciated.
I find that I myself don’t get much of a weekend either. While I am driven and want to be able to do everything like you it’s hard to say no.
Thanks so much, Morgan, Jason, Patrick, and Shane for the comments! 🙂 Very much appreciate it!