In the world of paid search, networking is extremely important. It really is all about the people. Whether you’re looking for a PPC job, campaign advice, a speaking opportunity, the next big thing, an opportunity to help others, or simply good times with others in our industry, it truly helps to network. Following are some PPC networking tips that have helped me tremendously.
- Schedule lunches with colleagues and business partners. Lunch is a great time to network and really get to know those in the PPC industry. Check out the picture to the right. Our good friends at Marin Software recently treated my team and I to lunch. Thanks, Marin!
- Attend search marketing conferences. Check out my recent recap of SMX Seattle and you’ll see that the networking at these conferences is truly unparalleled. I try to attend as many SEM conferences as possible.
- Consider joining SEMPO. SEMPO (Search Engine Marketing Professionals Organization) provides a great way to network with other SEM professionals both internationally and also in your area.
- Read PPC blogs and comment. I have met an amazing number of PPC professionals both through my own blog and also by reading/commenting on other blogs.
- Take time to get to know your colleagues. Attend company events, such as happy hours. Go to lunch/dinner with your teammates. Spend some time chit chatting around the office (as long as it does not affect work). Getting to know your colleagues on a personal level will create lifelong friendships.
- Leverage LinkedIn to grow your SEM career and build your network. I wrote a long post all about my own LinkedIn strategy. (One of my first posts here on PPC Ian nearly three years ago but tips I recommend to this day.)
- Have regular calls with your search engine reps and partners. Meet your reps and partners for strategy sessions and lunches. When possible, have the meetings in-person.
- Attend webinars and ask questions. Follow up with the presenters/moderators. Read eBooks and whitepapers. Email the authors. There are so many great webinars and eBooks/whitepapers in the PPC industry.
- Give back via public speaking. I have done quite a bit of public speaking over the years. Some examples: Google and Stanford GSB (twice). Speaking is super helpful for your career and it’s an excellent way to network with other online marketers and businesspeople.
- Find ways to help out others. I’m a firm believer that the more you give, the more you receive. Find ways to mentor others. Find ways to help out. You will build an amazingly strong network thinking of things with the “How can I help” mentality.
I hope this list helps you build your network. Do you have any PPC networking tips that have helped out in your career?
Image in this post © PPCIan.com